In preparation for Hurricane Matthew (or any other natural disaster), make sure your furry friend is ready! Here’s a list of things you’ll want to have on hand during this ruff weather!
- Food and water for at least five days for each pet. If your pet eats canned food, make sure you remember the can opener!
- All medications and medical records- make sure you keep these somewhere that will remain dry like a water-proof container.
- Pet emergency first-aid kit- cotton bandage rolls, medical tape, scissors, antibiotic ointment, ispropyl alcohol, latex gloves, flea/tick prevention, saline solution.
- Current pictures of you with your pets. If you were to become separated from your pets, you’ll want a picture of them to post, and a picture together to prove your ownership.
- Sturdy collars and leashes- make sure contact numbers are up-to-date and printed legibly in case you get separated.
- A safe travel carrier with extra blankets and bedding.
- For kitties, bring along a disposable litter tray! An aluminum roasting pan is light, compact and perfect for this use.
- Cleaning supplies! Paper towels, trash bags, soap, and disinfectants.
- Toys and comfort items- help keep them calm during the storms.
If you can’t take your pet with you to a safe haven, consider having them boarded here at Edison Park Animal Hospital! We will conduct normal business hours despite the weather so that we can continue to provide quality care to our regular patients and any visiting from the East Coast. Stay safe, Florida!